Pilar Dunia

It's such a hi-jinx I did not bring the camera with me so I can show you what I mean. The pics I snatched from here and there of this world wide web wouldn't serve the illustration purpose I originally intended, but what the heck, eh?


hell yeah it has got a fancy sky-scrapping tower as well


Grand Indonesia. The name gives you no bs, the place is HUGE! I had been to big malls, I'm a city girl, I know what big malls are like. But Grand Indonesia gives a different meaning to BIG MALLS. The vantage points of this mall i think are location, location, location, and then it was design, design, design.


They probably kicked out a whole "kelurahan" for this complex site

As you can see, the complex is really made up of two different malls, interconnected with what is called "skybridges" in several different levels. Only two malls, mind you. For comparison, the Tunjungan Plaza complex in Surabaya boasts itself as the biggest shopping center in Indonesia, with 4 different malls interconnecting with one another. But when Tunjungan Plaza is just a bulk of tall buildings which is a bit boring because you can only see it from one or two different point of views and not really recognizing it, Grand Indonesia apparently had a better architect team designing it.


The bulk's front view. The locals' somewhat source of pride.

The entrance points especially the ones under the skybridges are adorned with humongous pillars. These pillars are so big, that it would take about 4-5 people to hug it. Which reminds me of a gigantic tree in Africa, the Baobab. These concerete pillars are looming, the equal of a two and a half storeys tall. In overall it gives me the goosebumps beside making me feel really small.


You have to admit that Baobabs are much more eco-friendly than concrete pillars

So, while I was walking underneath this... skybridge, about to enter the West Mall of the Grand Indonesia, the thought of getting crushed by tons of concrete occured in my head. I also thought about the cas poured for this project site, the money spent inside the posh mall, and the gross national product of the Republic of Indonesia.

Nothing make sense.

I mean... do we really need a shopping mall this monstrous?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Durga Doesn't Have Laundry Problems, and We Shouldn't Either!

Have Child Will Travel: Nyepi Holiday Adventure (2)

Main ke Desa