Move On, There's Nothing To See Here...

Today is the last chance for Multiply non-commercial users to put their proverbial private belongings in a digital virtual box and leave the building. Rumours had spread since last year, but still some were shocked to see it actually happening mid 2012; a "love letter" written in the softest translated version in Bahasa Indonesia, which basically tells Multiply social media users to scram as the site will concentrate mainly on pure commercial means. 
Hearts were breaking. Some went as far as bombarding the management with words. Tons of written and oral verbals expressing disappointment. Which is, really, to be honest, a tad too much albeit understandable.

Decadence and Nonsense, it's last template 


I had been using Multiply since 2004. Sparsely at first, because I already had Kulam Ikan Tetangga here. But I had more interaction there, since it was designed differently from blogspot, and maintaining two blogs at once was hard. The wonderful thing about MP was, it allowed me to do a cross-posting with blogspot, so that was exactly what I did.

When people were fussing about where to move their posts, I am actually pretty lucky for having a back up already. Moving 500++ blog posts from MP can be a headache. Yet, there are several posts set on "contacts only" which needs to be changed into "for everyone" before it could be exported anywhere. Oh ok, I thought I'll just wait for the export/download tools MP had promised us. And then... I procrastinate.

Today I moved only four of the restricted posts I made to blogspot. Manually. Those were posts about my daughter's first signs of existence in this world. Re-reading them touched a soft spot. But I still have to move the photos. And the have to be downloaded. Since bandwidth is not so wide at home, I got a helping hand from Meliponny who abused her office's connection to download the thousands photos I had uploaded to Multiply from 2004.

Aside of that I also created a tumblr account and exported the limited number of posts it allows me. Just because you can not put all your eggs in one basket. Or perhaps just because I'm a freak.



Journal posts saved, photos saved... the comments for each posts I cannot save. Comments and interaction from the 248 contacts and 8 groups I had in Multiply. Ah, see, I already used the past tense.

For eight years, I had met a lot of new friends in MP, quite a lot I met in real life later on, and became really good friends. These friends I hope I would not lost. There are so many ways to be connected these days, so many options anyways.

So yes, I'm moving on. Yes it hurts so much. In life we come to a junction where we meet new people, and walk with them along the way and become so very close, and then we meet another junction where we have to separate and walk our own paths.
I know that's a cheesy analogy. Hmm.

So here we go. Good bye penabuluan.multiply.com. It's been super awesome having you.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Durga Doesn't Have Laundry Problems, and We Shouldn't Either!

Have Child Will Travel: Nyepi Holiday Adventure (2)

Main ke Desa