No It Is Not Sombre This Cloudy Sky!

This morning was so bright and hot, and past midday... it started to rain! Incredible how the weather takes turns.


Work was usual, but I found this obituary article at The Telegraph today.

Christy Nolan, who died on February 20 aged 43, made a remarkable career as a novelist despite suffering from cerebral palsy as a result of being deprived of oxygen at birth


Unable to talk, walk or use his hands, he was confined to a wheelchair – but his intellect was unimpaired. He wrote by using a special keyboard; to help him type, his mother often held his head in her cupped hands while he painstakingly picked out each word, letter by letter, with the aid of a rod, or "unicorn stick", attached to a headband which allowed him slowly to tap out words on a typewriter. (to read more, just click this )


Reading the obituary, I was overwhelmed with sadness. I hardly knew Nolan, or ever heard of him, and here I am mourning for the loss of a remarkable soul.


Nolan's life story reminded me of this film I saw several years ago. It touched me so deep I can't get it out of my head, and only recently I realized that it was the first time I saw with the cute James mcAvoy acting. (Oh James mcAvoy is one helluva actor. That dude better act in a kickass role that will win him the Globes, BAFTA, Critics awards and that darned nekid OSCAR golden bald guy award!)



The film is called Inside I'm Dancing, or Rory o'Shea was Here. The story is about a rebellious young man, disabled by Duchene's Muscle Distrophy, a seemingly misfit in almost everywhere he had been, including the facility he recently moved into, Carrigmore Residential Home for the Disabled. There he quickly forms a bond with Michael (Steven Robertson), whose cerebral palsy and speech impairment render him incoherent to most.



Rory is so lively almost uncontrollable, contagious, while Michael is hopeless, mildly depressed, and grey. The bond formed between the two blooms and becomes the main fuel boosting the plot forward. Rory teaches Michael what it is to be alive.


I get taught too. Today, the life story of Christy Nolan gave me an extra lesson. Heck, for the best and the worse of it, with its endless possibilities, let's trod on the path less taken and PARTY! We only have so much time anyway :)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Durga Doesn't Have Laundry Problems, and We Shouldn't Either!

Have Child Will Travel: Nyepi Holiday Adventure (2)

Monster Playgroup (Pt. 1)